Last Shout - Posted by: Grumpy225 - Sunday, 25 August 2013 15:27
http://www.lambrettaclubusa.net/

transporting a scooter to a rally across the country
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jtoks
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: transporting a scooter to a rally across the country Reply with quote

can someone spell out for me primarily how people transport bikes to rallys across the country. i've seen people truck in their bike to a rally a couple hours away, but if it came down to me trying to get to next years Jamboree and it wasnt within a days worth of scootering distance, how would it be done? do you check them in on flights, crate and ship them? pre tell!

probably far too soon, but any idea where in the country the next jamb will be? i was going to make a quip about coming back to the east coast but you were in Richmond not too long ago.
Grumpy225
LCUSA Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trucked mine the 850 odd miles from Bakersfield to Portland foe LJ. It was a long and borring drive and if it was much further than that I think I would have flown in and borrowed a bike from a local. That being said there were a few people who shipped their bikes by forward air or got some sucker with a trailor to shelp bikes while they flew. It all comes down to time and money (but dosen't everything?).

Please use www.lambrettaclubusa.net
scottdwally
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If LJ2012 ends up being in Colorado Springs (COS) I will be happy to CAREFULLY take scooters from Forward Air terminal at DIA to the rally site in my pickup for actual gas $ only (or beer from your locale - let me know what ya got!). I'll even keep the receipts for you. I'm sure others here in Colorado will do the same for LCUSA members in good standing. I could also ride Smile or truck Sad them to my house from DIA and garage them for you to ride from DCD to COS yourself.

There's an FA "Extended Service" location in the 'Springs according to the FA website - does anyone know what that means as far as cost vs. the terminal at DIA? It may be cheaper than 'gas $' to get it from DIA to the 'Springs using FA services. Does Sportique in COS have a Forward Air account? Bueller (aka AdamXYL) ?!?!?

Of course this all assumes LJ2012 in Colorado Springs which has NOT been decided yet...
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are asking this question to enjoy the discount for established account holders?

It won't work if you plan to use one of their containers. One of the generous shop owners here, gave me their Forward Air account number and basically said "have at it, pay me when you get it sorted out". I spent hours and hours (really) trying to deal with shipping a scooter from one coast to the other. I went though the station managers, the account managers, and anyone else in between over a three week period. The only way to enjoy a shop discount is to ship using your own crate.

scottdwally wrote:
... Does Sportique in COS have a Forward Air account? Bueller (aka AdamXYL) ?!?!?...

scottdwally
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starreem wrote:
I assume you are asking this question to enjoy the discount for established account holders?

It won't work if you plan to use one of their containers. One of the generous shop owners here, gave me their Forward Air account number and basically said "have at it, pay me when you get it sorted out". I spent hours and hours (really) trying to deal with shipping a scooter from one coast to the other. I went though the station managers, the account managers, and anyone else in between over a three week period. The only way to enjoy a shop discount is to ship using your own crate.

scottdwally wrote:
... Does Sportique in COS have a Forward Air account? Bueller (aka AdamXYL) ?!?!?...

Yep - and I'm WAY overstepping before checking with Sportique anyway so probably just disregard FA discounts unless you already have things set up yourself,
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the exhilarating ride from SF to Portland for the 2011 LJ, I am going to plan on riding from SF to CS, assuming the LJ 2012 is there. Almost twice the distance of the SF to Portland trip, but I think it is doable. The only thing to contend with would be elevations at 10,000 feet.
scandal_christina
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, I've trailered bikes to three Jammies: From Florida (before I moved to Atlanta) to Denver, Atlanta to Albuquerque, and Atlanta to Richmond. Richmond was the shortest and done in one day, but basically it all broke down to $$ for me and the people I traveled with.

Forward Air can be cheap, but you're probably looking at a minimum of $500 total for both ways (someone correct me if I'm wrong). BUT you do save gas money and hotel money (if you have to break your trip up into two days). So maybe $500 for bike shipping and then another $350+ for a round trip flight. That's a total of $750, but might cost up to $1,000.

Driving, on the other hand, has far more costs figured in. It's 1,375 miles to Colorado Springs for me, so that roughly breaks down to 55 gallons of gas, probably quite a bit less, but I want to over budget. If gas stayed around $3.60/gallon (which I'm sure it won't), that's a total of $198 for gas one way. So $400 for gas. Plus an overnight stay at a cheap motel, $65. Both ways again. So now my driving cost is about $530 round trip for me and my bike, and less if I am sharing the drive with someone.

Of course, do you want to drive 10+ hours a day? I don't mind it, but I like the scenery and the roadside attractions (Prairie Dog Town in Kansas just before you hit CO is pretty crazy). It cuts my travel costs in 1/2, but actually a bit more, since I would never do all that traveling by myself. Even if I added in a car rental so I could have something with A/C, I'm still saving a lot.

That's a lot of info, but really, it's the only way I can answer your question.
th' Cap'n
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a couple friends to go along and tag-team the driving. One shot and you're there. That's how we did Portland to Vegas and back. That's how we would to the Springs. Probably caravan a few vehicles.
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your input, it shed a lot of light on the subject. I look forward to the announcement of when next years a Jam is, but to tell the truth: I probably won't be making one unless its within 10 hours riding distance.
UlyssesCale
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is way too complicated. My refrigerator is too far away. I'm probably going to starve to death.
th' Cap'n
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UlyssesCale wrote:
Life is way too complicated. My refrigerator is too far away. I'm probably going to starve to death.

You're full of excuses, aren't you? Laughing
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be checking with Amtrack in the near furture about this exact thing. As long as it goes on a pallet is the limitation I believe, Might have to remove the front fender and drop the forks, which is easy enough.
Rudy
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish amtrak offered some kind of service like that.
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm a bit bummed with Jtoks examination of the hurdles of getting a bike to the Lambretta Jamboree and the resulting conclusion. I understand that both the time and the money can be a bit of a tall order, but there are options. And many of those options require more creative study than money. There are bikes to borrow, surely, and there are rides to be had to tote your scooter half way, all of the way, part of the way, or whichever way.

I don't presume to know what is going on in someone else's life and the demands on them, hell, life is shitty sometimes. But going on this sort of trip and figuring out a way to make it happen is what makes life worth living. I haven't had a f***ing job in 3 years. But I get up every day and make it work. I made it to LJ by driving my scooter 820 miles. I'm depending on others' generosity of their time and effort to get my scooter home. It sucks that I don't have my Serveta (which is my only form of transportation) to ride for 3 weeks, but it was what I had to do to make it work.

Now, this past LJ was my first, so I'll just let my enthusiasm for both the event and for the LCUSA take over. Jtoks, if you can manage to get creative and pull out all the stops (maybe even ship it months in advance or go without it for a few months after) - I promise you will not regret it.

Start planning now. Call people now. Make a commitment and get others to throw their hat in. If you get there and cannot bring a bike you can count on my letting you ride my bike for one of the rides. Just look for the guy wearing the Flyers t-shirt (I'm always wearing some Flyers stuff).
jheadley
LCUSA Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UlyssesCale wrote:
I guess I'm a bit bummed with Jtoks examination of the hurdles of getting a bike to the Lambretta Jamboree and the resulting conclusion. I understand that both the time and the money can be a bit of a tall order, but there are options. And many of those options require more creative study than money. There are bikes to borrow, surely, and there are rides to be had to tote your scooter half way, all of the way, part of the way, or whichever way.

Now, this past LJ was my first, so I'll just let my enthusiasm for both the event and for the LCUSA take over. Jtoks, if you can manage to get creative and pull out all the stops (maybe even ship it months in advance or go without it for a few months after) - I promise you will not regret it.

You can also go sans bike. I didn't know if it would even be worth it without a scooter, but in the end I decided it was better to go without a bike than not go. My family wanted to do Portland anyway, but then that meant 4x plane tickets, and I just couldn't add the scooter shipping on top of all those plane tickets.

I got lucky and Christina was willing to let me be a passenger for the Saturday ride. Even as a passenger, that ride was really cool and as a bonus I had a chance to get to know another club member better.

I know that clubs don't normally have a whole bunch of extra Lambrettas sitting around, but it would be cool to figure out how to pair people up with any that are there. In hindsight I could have asked the PDX crew if there were any, but not having met most of them I never figured anyone would loan me their bike anyhow. But this is another reason to go to the LJ anyway - get to know people!

Anyway, I imagine I'll be in the same boat next summer if it's the Springs. 4x airline tickets because I've always wanted to take the family to Colorado since it's so beautiful. Whether or not I figure out how to get my scooter there I still want to go!
LCUSA #566
Serveterans

Spanish motorscooters rule the world!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LCUSA Forum Index -> Jamboree Information All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: